User Manual

Julie Berry, IT and AV support officer at University of Huddersfield gives her views on the newly launched huddle room product
At the University of Huddersfield we have been transitioning to Skype for Business for the last couple of years. As a result of this we have
been fitting out rooms so that they are Skype for Buisness (SfB) ready when they are refurbished.
Our refits commonly involve a Logitech C920 camera along with Audio-Technica boundary mics in the ceiling, which has worked
perfectly well for us, but we always felt that there must be something better out there. We looked at a couple of other products that were
close but not quite what we were looking for. The Acendo Vibe was very close but with the controls on the side we didn’t feel that it
was quite as intuitive as it could be and was a bit on the pricey side. The Crestron Mercury was good too but lacked a camera and you
would still have cables dragging across the table when you linked up additional mics.
One of the problems that we encounter is that people agree a specific time for a video conference and then find that there are no
suitably equipped rooms available at that time because they are being used for normal ‘physical’ meetings. What we wanted was a
portable option so we could transform any room into a video conferencing room.
So, when I went to the LTSMG conference (The Learning and Teaching Spaces Managers Group) at the University of Hertfordshire in
November (2017), I saw the Yamaha CS-700 on display. We have been using a Revolabs FLX UC500 mic/speaker combination with
great results and the CS-700 appeared to use the same technology but with an added camera and the controls now clearly visible on
the front. An added bonus was that Yamaha were demonstrating it attached to a screen on a trolley, which is exactly what we had been
thinking of doing ourselves for the portable option. It looked perfect for us.
When I got back to the office, I spoke to our integrator Roche AV to get a price (£900 + VAT) and decided to buy one. Unfortunately as
this was such a new product they were not actually available yet so I would have to wait for a month or two. So I waited. And I waited
until eventually I saw a tweet from AV Technology Europe - it was finally available in the UK. I called Roche and it arrived the next day –
Valentine’s Day. Not quite a bunch of roses, but who am I to complain?
“I don’t think you could want more from a video conferencing
system without making it too complicated.”
Reviewed: The all in one Yamaha CS-700
video conferencing solution
https://www.installation-international.com/technology/reviewed-yamaha-cs-700

Summary of content (2 pages)